Sunday, September 26, 2010

Being happy

I watched a movie last night that made me think about the many directions my life could have gone if I had made different choices, and the many ways is could still go in the future based on the choices I make now.  It is a very humbling thought.  I wonder, where would I be if I hadn't served a mission?  What if I had gone to BYU instead of BMCC?   Would I be married?  Would I have children?  Would they be the same spirits that I have now?  Where would I be living? 
In the movie, the main character gets a chance to see what his life would have been like had he made a different choice in his past.  It was great to be reminded that nobody has a perfect life, but if you have the right priorities, life is good anyway.  I loved how messy their home was, how they had real problems, but how happy they were. 
One of my favorite quotes is from J.K. Rowling in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: "It is not our abilities that make us who we are.  It is our choices."  I firmly believe that is true...otherwise free agency wouldn't be so important in our Heavenly Father's Plan.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I had stopped checking your blog! Glad you posted. I'm terrible at it too, though. Anyway, cute pics of Abrie!! I love that quote from the book, too. I remember reading it and being struck by it. What movie did you see?

Ann-Marie said...

I saw The Family Man with Nicholas Cage.